13 Home Remedies for Dry and Damaged Hair
If you're battling dry, damaged hair, you might be in need of some serious repair. Instead of buying expensive hair masks from the store, or going to get treatments at the salon, why not just make your own natural home remedies using ingredients from your very own kitchen. Hair becomes dry and damaged for many reasons. One of the major reasons is over processing your hair with hair bleaching and colouring. Bleaching your hair really tends to suck all of the moisture right out of it so it's important to restore it if you're colouring your hair a lot. The other reason could be your diet. Sometimes not getting enough healthy fats and minerals in your diet can leave your hair brittle and dry, so you can also try some natural health products and supplements that are geared toward healthy, thick hair. You could also be washing your hair too much. Contrary to what you may have been told, washing your hair every single day might be too much for your locks. Washing your hair strips it of all the natural oils it needs to stay nice and moisturised and healthy. So you can start by washing your hair once every couple of days to start and then less as time goes on.
Cutting split ends off of your hair is also a good way to stop any breakage from happening. The split ends will just keep breaking the hair off causing it to look really dry and frizzy. So book yourself a trim with a stylist every 4 to 6 weeks or trim your hair at home if you feel comfortable doing it on your own. Then there are these great natural home remedies you can try out at home to hydrate your hair, and you could choose one to try out each week if you like. Make a little home spa experience out of it and have some fun. Here are some of the home remedies from Reader's Digest:
1. An avocado mask can work wonders on dry hair. Just mash up a whole avocado with one whole egg and apply to wet hair. Leave it on your hair for at least 20 minutes or more and then rinse out with warm water.
2. Massage some butter into your hair. It may sound weird, but the butter can make your hair really soft. Use organic butter whenever you can. Take a small amount of butter and massage it into your hair and scalp. Then put on a plastic shower cap and leave the butter on your hair for 30 minutes. Shampoo your hair and rinse the butter out with warm water.
3. Warm up 1/2 cup olive oil and then rub it into your hair and scalp. Cover up with a shower cap or plastic bag wrap in a towel. Let it sit for 45 minutes, then just shampoo it and rinse really well.
4. Mix 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar with 2 tablespoons olive oil and 3 egg whites, pour it into your hair and massage it in well. Keep it in for 30 minutes and rinse and shampoo it out.
5. Don't wear your hair in ponytails all of the time. Having an elastic around your hair constantly can cause breakage to hair, so wear your hair down as much as you can, and don't wear anything in your hair while you sleep.
Those are some of the great beauty hacks you can try out to prevent or treat dry hair. Try out your favourites and see how they work for you. What do you do to keep your hair healthy?***
Learn MORE at Reader's Digest