Top 10 Ideas That Everyone Used to Believe
With information available at the touch of our fingertips, we might think that we hold the highest ranked truth and automatically reject the truths people from older generations used to hold as highest ranked truth too. With advancing technologies, those old well celebrated truths, seem to unfounded. Here are the lists of things our elders used to believe as the only truths.
1. The Earth is the center of the universe – During the 4th century BCE Greece, the geocentric model was developed based on astronomical observation, proposing that the center of the Universe lies at the center of a spherical, stationary Earth, around which the sun, moon, planets, and stars rotate. With the development of the heliocentric model by Nicolaus Copernicus in the 16th century, the sun was believed to be the center of the Universe, with the planets (including Earth) and stars orbiting it.
2. Smoking is good for your throat – We have seen all the sign that show how bad smoking is for the health. We read “Smoking is dangerous to your health,” but here is something that could be a counterblow of the smokers around the world, that was 'smoking is good for the throat'. It is not just because they love smoking so much but because this statement was at one time believed as truth.
3. Spoiled babies become Socialist babies – A child expert once said that if you spoil your baby, your baby will grow up as socialist. In today’s society that glorifies, democracy, we would be embarrassed to know that someone in the family is a Socialist. Though we don’t understand what is any relationship between being a spoiled brat and being a socialist.
4. You can inherit traits from your mother’s previous partners. This one is truly against what science reports on X and Y chromosomes. The parents contribute to the genetic development of the child, but this one actually is a racist belief of the Nazis and termed it as “polluting the chromosomic chains” to make it sound more scientific. Oh well, we know too well that this idea is baseless.
5. The earth is hollow. This theory has been so persistent that even some of the people of today believe it to be true. The discovery of other planets in 18th century sentenced the theory’s death.
Visit the 'Smashing Lists' website below to find out the rest of the list in more detail.
Learn MORE at SMASHING LISTS
To help with slow website load, we have put all photos for this article here: View photo gallery.