Top 10 Tips for Great Home-cooking
Some people find solitude in the kitchen. They feel relaxed and adept in cooking and feel at ease around the kitchen. However, there are still some who fumble and tumble around the kitchen no matter how hard they try (I'm actually one of those people). However, I am very happy to announce that I have 10 tips to make home cooking easy-breezy. You don't have to be a professional chef to glide expertly around the kitchen.
1. Stock Up = Or shop like there's no tomorrow. Stock up on every possible ingredient, even the ones you don't really use. Having a fully stocked pantry could just be the inspiration you need to keep on whipping up tasty dishes.
2. Brown the Meat = The browner the meat, the tastier it is. Make sure the pan is very hot to ensure easy browning of the meat.
3. Remember the Golden Ration = White sauce is easily the most used sauce in cooking. So its very important to remember the ratio of its basic ingredients; 2 tablespoons fat, 2 tablespoons flour and 1 cup milk.
4. Learn to Season Properly = Be it salt, pepper, basil or what-have-you make sure to season in small quantities. You can always add a little bit more if needed. You don't want your dish to be too salty, or spicy. Don't ever let the spices overpower the dish.
5. Balance = One thing to remember is to keep flavors balanced. Not too sweet, too salty, too bitter, too sour or too earthy. Make sure your dish has that "bite" to it. Acidity is key.
6. How to Make Proper Gravy = There's step by step instructions in the article below, but its vital to remember that gravy should be smooth and silky.
7. Breading that Doesn't Stick to the Pan = Its quite easy. a.) Coat your meat in flour, b.) Dip it then in a bowl of scrambled eggs, c.) Coat in the next layer of breading, d.) Place uncovered inside the fridge for an hour or so. That simple.
8. Make Salad Dressing = The ingredients and instructions are in the article below as well. Tip, make sure your dressing isn't too oily.
9. How to Make Custard = Custard or pudding can either be baked, steamed or boiled. It can be served as part of a main course or dessert and it should be savory and sweet. The instructions on how to make custard is in the link below.
10. How to Make Soup = Soup can either be clear or thick. Unlike stew, soup usually has more liquid and less solid ingredients. There are many soup options available and you can always opt for the canned variant, but its better to try and learn making your own soup from scratch.
Visit the List Verse website below for more information and to see pictures or videos.
Learn MORE / Get RECIPE at Listverse
To help with slow website load, we have put all photos for this article here: View photo gallery.